The Power of… JOY
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ““There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behavior, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us.” What makes your spirit smile? Are you experiencing at least one instance of pure joy every day? Do you regularly share acts of kindness? It’s been said that pleasure is in the body, happiness is in the mind, and joy is in the heart. Both pleasure and happiness are fleeting. Joy, on the other hand, is a fruit of the Spirit – a deep-in-the-soul feeling… Learn more in The Power of… JOY.
The Power of… LETTING GO
Lao-Tau said, “…having without possessing, acting with no expectations, leading and not trying to control; this is supreme virtue.” Do you get upset when things don’t turn out the way you expected? Is your mind cluttered with regrets and resentments? What are you holding on to that is holding you back? I used to hang on to just about everything – worn-out clothes, old papers, even my previous job identity. I was following the “just in case” philosophy. Read more in The Power of… LETTING GO.
The Power of… PRACTICE
Matthew Arnold said, “Use your gifts faithfully, and they shall be enlarged; practice what you know, and you shall attain to higher knowledge.” What is your daily practice? Are you practicing peace or anxiety? Are you practicing how to succeed or simply survive? Are you putting into practice what you already know? Learn more in The Power of… PRACTICE.
The Power of… CONSCIOUSNESS
Ernest Holmes said, “The Spirit can do for us only what It can do through us. Unless we are able to provide the consciousness, It cannot provide the gift.” What is your mental atmosphere? Are your internal dreams reflected in your external reality? Do you wonder why some people always seem to attract good and others are a magnet for misfortune? Learn more in The Power of… CONSCIOUSNESS.
Surviving in the Shadows: Voices of Change in India
My only hint of what was to come was the little girl in the parking lot scratching at my window asking for money. She kept her hand on the car as we drove away. I had just arrived in Mumbai. I was told that begging is a business in India and yet it still touched my heart to see this child in need. Although I did encounter my share of outstretched hands, it didn’t seem much different than the gypsies I came across while studying in Rome. The scale was just larger. As a Young Global Leader for the World Economic Forum, I was participating in a Learning Journey hosted by the Gates Foundation… Read more in the three-part series on Impatient Optimists blog.
How Faith Can Forge Myanmar’s Future
Despite Myanmar’s most recent conflicts being attributed to religious differences, the country’s deep spiritual roots may be instrumental in its current economic, political and social transformation. With over 100 different nationalities, 90% of its people follow Buddhism, 4% are Christian and 4% are Muslim, with others practicing forms of Animism and Shamanism. In advance of the World Economic Forum on East Asia, a group of Young Global Leaders took part in an Impact Journey aiming to explore the country’s diversity of religious thought as well as shared spiritual values… Read more on World Economic Forum blog.
Additional Huffington Post Articles
- “Seniors Stripped Of The Right To Vote; Florida Is A Hotspot” (November 7, 2016)
- “Is Elder Guardianship A New Form of Human Trafficking?” (September 13, 2016)
- “What I Learned From The Greatest: Personal Reflection on Muhammad Ali” (June 9, 2016)
- “What To Pray For” (November 15, 2015)
- “96-year-old Tao Portion-Lynch is ‘On Fire’ on America’s Got Talent” (June 11, 2015)
- “Is 96 the New 22? Seven Secrets to Vitality from Tao Porchon-Lynch” (February 3, 2015)
- “Nelson Mandela’s Lesson on Love” (December 8, 2013)
- “10 Most Fearless Women I’ve Met” (July 8, 2013)
- “7 Things I Learned From Mom” (May 17, 2013)
- “1-Minute Mini-Escape: Today I Am Calm” (April 22, 2013)
- “1-Minute Mini-Escape: Today I Am Free” (February 8, 2013 – video)
- “7 Steps to Making and Keeping Resolutions” (December 17, 2012)
- “The Loud Voice of Cancer” (October 17, 2012 – video)
- “1-Minute Mini-Escape: Today I Focus on the Good” (October 15, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Masood Ali Khan & Sheela Bringi on Music & the Spirit” (October 10, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Elena Brower on The Art of Attention” (October 5, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Rev. Jaganath Carrera on Yoga & Spirituality” (October 1, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Cyndi Lee on Integrating your Self” (September 29, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Beryl Bender Birch on Being Present” (September 24, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Rodney Yee & Colleen Saidman Yee on Being Yoga” (September 21, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Peter Sterios on Going Within” (September 17, 2012 – video)
- “Conversation with Sharon Gannon on Yoga, Life & Being Vegan” (September 14, 2012)
- “7 Ways to Transform your Life… from 7 Expert Yogis” (September 10, 2012 – with slideshow & video)
- “1-Minute Mini-Escape: Today I Flow With Life” (August 14, 2012 – with video)
- “1-Minute Mini-Escape: Today I Let My Light Shine!” (July 6, 2012 – with video)
- “On War and Peace- Yoga and Meditation in Afghanistan” (July 5, 2012 – with video)
- “Yoga at the Pentagon with Tao Porchon-Lynch” (June 28, 2012 – with slideshow)
- “7 Steps to Crafting an Amazing Life” (April 9, 2012 – with slideshow)
- “Mindfulness as a Path to Personal Sustainability” (March 29, 2012)
- “Looking for Love…” (February 13, 2012)
- “Tribute to Whitney Houston in Song” (February 13, 2012)
- “The Power of Perspective” (October 18, 2011)
- “Power Living: The Practice of Life” (May 24, 2011)
- “What do you see?” (April 2, 2013)
- “Step by Step” (December 2, 2012)
- “An Ordinary Day” (September 10, 2012)
- “Eyes Wide Open” (August 15, 2012)
- “Watch The Gap” (July 9, 2012)
- “Look Up!” (June 27, 2012)
- “The Divine Birthday Gift” (May 15, 2012)
- “Behold! Your Life is Blooming!” (April 26, 2012)
- “On Fears and Dreams” (April 19, 2012)
- “Flying High” (April 13, 2012)
- “Even Pigeons Can Dream” (April 6, 2012)
- “Your Masterpiece” (March 28, 2012)
- “A Human… Simply Being” (March 27, 2012)
Books / Papers
- Co-author, Dancing Light: The Spiritual Side of Being Through the Eyes of a Modern Yoga Master (2015).
- Wrote OpEd, Grow and Thrive: An Integrated Approach to Quality Economic Growth – prepared for World Economic Forum (2011). Download paper.
- Contributor, The Youth Effect: Toolkit for Decision Makers on Engaging with Youth (2010) – an initiative of the Forum of Young Global Leaders, World Economic Forum. Download Youth Effect book.
- Wrote Foreword, What Students Learned in Gym Class: A Qualitative Study of Required Physical Education, by Dr. Virginia S. Cowen (2010).
- Contributor, A New Way Forward: Healing What’s Hurting Black America, ed. by Susan L. Taylor (2010).
- Author, La Promesa de Power Living: Una Afirmación para una Vida llena de Propósito y Poder (2010).
- Wrote White Paper, From Inefficiency to Integration: Realigning Global Health – prepared for World Economic Forum/Young Global Leader Summit – Dalian, China (2009). Download paper.
- Contributor, Healthy Soul Food cookbook, edited by the American Heart Association (2009). See segment..
- Author, Seven-Day PWR Detox: Cleanse Your Body, Mind & Spirit While Living Your Daily Life (2009).
- Contributor/Featured, Case Histories: The Dynamic Future of Nutrition, by Joshua Rosenthal (2007).
- Author, The Power Living Pledge: An Affirmation for a Purposeful & Powerful Life (2007).
- Contributor/Featured, Integrative Nutrition: The Future of Nutrition, by Joshua Rosenthal (2006).
- Author, 40 Days to Power Living: Think, Eat & Live on Purpose (2006).
- Contributor, The NIA Guide for Black Women Achieving Career Success On Your Own Terms, ed. by Sheryl Huggins and Cheryl Mayberry McKissack (2004).
For more inspiration, go to www.iampowerliving.com and check out my products at www.powerlivingmedia.com. If you enjoy my content and want me to contribute to your publication or blog, contact me at email@example.com or 212-901-6913. To see previous contributions, go to media. Also, be sure to check out my bio and services.